Logo. Bay City Rentals


Advise for Tenants:

You need insurance. Your landlordís insurance policy does not protect your belongings. 
Under the RTA, tenants are liable for any damage they, or their invited guests, cause intentionally or carelessly. Even if you are not named on the tenancy agreement, you should have a: 

  • contents insurance policy to protect your belongings 

  • personal liability policy to protect you from any careless damage you or your invited guests may 
cause to the property. 
If an insurance company pays out a landlord for damage and believes that a tenant is liable for that damage, the insurance company may seek compensation from the tenant. Personal liability insurance may protect you in this situation. 

Where can I find more information? 

Speak to insurance companies for details on their policies.

For tenancy information visit www.dbh.govt.nz or call 0800 TENANCY (0800 83 62 62).